Human Development majors can elect to specialize in one of five content areas by earning a certificate.

Non-human development majors may pursue a certificate with their degree or independently of a degree. Please contact the Department of Human Development to begin working towards a certificate.

  • Adolescence prepares you to work in adolescent counseling centers, youth programs, the juvenile justice system, and other settings that focus on teens and youth. (Pullman)
  • Early Childhood Education prepares you to work in childcare and preschool centers, Child Protective Services, crisis nurseries, and more. 
  • Family Studies prepares you to work in family counseling centers, parent education organizations, family crisis centers, women’s shelters, and other settings that provide services to families. (Pullman)
  • Gerontology prepares you to work in adult day care centers, nursing homes, home care services, community organizations that provide services to seniors, and other settings that focus on older adults. 
  • Human Services Case Management and Administration prepares you to work in social service, health care, and education settings. (Vancouver)
  • A teaching certificate in Family and Consumer Sciences is also available. Certificate offerings vary by campus location.

Why a certificate?

  • Focus your course of study.
  • Added training in a concentrated course of study.
  • Demonstrates additional area of specialization to potential employers. The certificate appears your transcript and can be included on a resume and/or application for graduate school.

How do I pursue a certificate?

  • Select an area of specialty in consultation with a human development academic advisor.
  • Maintain an overall GPA of 2.6 in the courses selected for your specialty area.